44 Harbour St., Port Dover Posted from Port Dover, Ontario, Canada.
Built in 1804, it eventually served as the first Dundas Post Office from 1818. Hatt was a merchant, miller, politician and Major in the 5th Lincoln Militia. He was injured at Lundy’s Lane and died in 1819. Posted from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Dundas Street (also known as the Governor’s Road and now Highway 5) was commissioned by John Graves Simcoe as a strategic land route between Dundas and Toronto. Trafalgar Township, Palermo and Munn’s Corner were based on Dundas Street. Many veterans of the War of 1812 settled on land along Dundas Street. Using Dundas St. as […]
John Harris, the builder of Eldon House, was born in Devon, England and, after a brief service in the merchant marine, was “impressed” (ordered) into the Royal Navy in 1803. Through active service on several ships, he rose to the rank of Master which in 1813, when serving aboard H.M.S. Zephyr the ship’s company was […]
The Longwoods Road is intersected by many streams wending their way to the Thames River. In 1811, the British government constructed primitive wooden bridges to span these creeks and streams in order allow passage of troops and artillery in case of war. Unfortunately, many of these bridges were often washed out. There was a bridge […]
The former village of Tisdale’s Mills, was spared General McArthur’s torch in November 1814. It was named after Wellington’s Spanish Battle of Vittoria in 1814. Located about three miles from Lake Erie, the little village had become, in the early 1800’s, the most active and important commercial centre between Niagara Falls and Detroit. It was […]
In November 1814, during his raid into the Grand River area, Brigadier-General Duncan McArthur learned that militia were gathering at Malcolm’s Mills. Thwarted in his attempt to reach Burlington Heights by crossing the Grand River at Brant’s Ford, he turned south towards Malcolm’s Mills. En route, he passed through the settlement of Mount Pleasant, where […]
This large farm belonged to Gideon Tiffany. It was the location of a British Encampment for almost 300 men, including British Regulars, Militia and Native Warriors, during the War of 1812 for three weeks between February and March 1814. They were located in detached dwellings, barns, outbuildings and huts constructed of timber from Tiffany’s saw […]
The site is the present-day brownstone located at 812 Norfolk Street South, Simcoe. During the War of 1812, Brock held a meeting on August 7th, 1812, at the tavern and home of William Culver in the Gore of Woodhouse for the purpose of recruiting volunteers for the Detroit expedition. The locals, disaffected with Colonel Talbot, […]
Built in 1791 by Col. Rogert Nelles, served as a barracks during the War of 1812 with a prison cell in the basement. Inhabitated by the Nelles family until 1852. The back part of this house is said to have been a log cabin built in 1788 by Robert Nelles as a home while building […]