This large farm belonged to Gideon Tiffany. It was the location of a British Encampment for almost 300 men, including British Regulars, Militia and Native Warriors, during the War of 1812 for three weeks between February and March 1814. They were located in detached dwellings, barns, outbuildings and huts constructed of timber from Tiffany’s saw mill. It is opposite the present Catholic School and Church.
The British troops consisted of the Light Companies of the Royal Scots and the 89th Regiments. The Militia consisted of companies of the Middlesex, Loyal Kent Volunteers and Caldwell’s Western Rangers. The Natives had warriors from the Muncey, Chippewa, Pottawatomie, Kickapoo, Shawnee and Wyandot Nations. The commander of the base was Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Stewart of the Royal Scots. The British Indian Department Officer was Colonel Matthew Elliott. The buildings at this site and other farmhouses in the vicinity became hospitals to treat over 50 wounded after the Battle of the Longwoods. Perhaps, also this was the site of Ebenezer Allan’s first home in Middlesex when he settled in 1794. This large farming complex included a saw mill and grist mill as well as numerous farm buildings. The British base was abandoned on March 7, 1814, and moved to Oxford and eventually to Burford after the defeat suffered at the Battle of the Longwoods. As a result, the Thames Valley and the Talbot Trail Regions were subjected to frequent damaging raids by marauders from the U.S. Troops stationed at Detroit and Amherstburg.