Vittoria

The former village of Tisdale’s Mills, was spared General McArthur’s torch in November 1814. It was named after Wellington’s Spanish Battle of Vittoria in 1814. Located about three miles from Lake Erie, the little village had become, in the early 1800’s, the most active and important commercial centre between Niagara Falls and Detroit. It was not only the hub of the Long Point Settlement, but also, from 1815 to 1825 the judicial capital of the London District of Upper Canada, hosting the district courts and the Registry offices. This era of distinction came to a disappointing conclusion when the Court House burned down in 1825. The courts were removed to London, and the Registry Offices to nearby Simcoe

Posted from Vittoria, Ontario, Canada.

Leave a Reply