Wooden Bridges

The Longwoods Road is intersected by many streams wending their way to the Thames River. In 1811, the British government constructed primitive wooden bridges to span these creeks and streams in order allow passage of troops and artillery in case of war. Unfortunately, many of these bridges were often washed out. There was a bridge at the bottom of Twenty Mile Creek on March 4, 1814 as described during the Battle of the Longwoods.

Posted from Ontario, Canada.

Leave a Reply